Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Musings 80--Bang...you're dead!


I took the National Rifle Association class to qualify for a concealed carry gun permit in the state of Ohio, Saturday. I know that this is going to sound like I am boasting, but these are the facts.

It was a rather exhausting 10 hour day going over stuff that I have known since I was a kid. But, it is good to go over gun safety to reinforce the dangers of stupidity.

There were about 20 people in the class. Many of them did not know much about guns or the shooting sports. For them, the fundamentals taught in the class were extremely important, and they seemed to take it very seriously.

They gave us a test consisting of about 75 questions. All the question were multiple choice and True or False. I missed one question. Go figure.

We finished up by going to the range and shooting a box of ammunition. The target above represents my effort at 17 feet (5.5 yards) with a .9mm Ruger P85 semi-automatic handgun. There are 22 rounds in that target with only one being outside the 8 ring. Most were in the 9 and 10 ring. I'm not sure I can shoot much better. Plus, I had 25 witnesses. My instructor concluded that I must have shot a "little" before...just a little. I will probably never shoot that well again, but, at least, I did once.

"I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."--Toby Keith

5 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Constable Kreegal said...

So does that mean you got it?

And if so, writing a big story about it doesn't really keep it a secret, does it?

Hmmmm...

Congrats. I like the "M" in the target.

I once killed 14 Orcs at 300 yards with a single fireball from a wand I quick-drew backward.

I miss the good 'ole days.

-Constable Kreegal

http://www.celluloidsheep.blogspot.com

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I thought it looked like an "M" also - looks like something only Mr. Black could have had something to do with ;}

bubblz

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger printguy said...

Good to know that the old gang is still alive and kicking...Hail, Hail...the gangs all here! I really had not seem the M until you all pointed it out. But now it becomes intentional...of course.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger printguy said...

seen....the word is seen....ahhhhh

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger printguy said...

Yes, Constable Kreegal...I can now apply for the permit...and, I was wearing my black suit when I shot the M...and I was working on a T at the bottom but I ran out of ammo...and...if you believe all that...well, you know...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Website Counters